Spring has slipped in here, silently and without fanfare. After March roared in like a lion and exited much the same way, Iowans are weary and wary about celebrating the end of winter too soon, lest it still be hiding around the corner. But even before today’s low sixties temperatures there were signs. The days were getting longer. It was light outside later. And although I’ve yet to spot my first robin–our harbinger of spring–I’m serenaded by a chorus of songbirds every morning. Today we did our first outdoor walk. Only two miles…but it was long enough to inhale the change of season.
I always wonder if it would be so welcome, so anticipated if it we didn’t have such wicked winters. Surely a fear of frostbite sharpens our appreciation for spring. It was worth the wait.
But there are so many things in life that are worth waiting for. Here are a few of mine:
1) The one who completes you. The one with whom you can join hands and brace for whatever life has in store for you.
2) Children. Although sometimes there’s little waiting involved <g>.
3) The career that challenges, rewards and fulfills.
4) Vacations from the career. (see challenges above)
5) Savoring the moment your first book hit the shelves. It can never again be experienced in quite the same way, no matter how many books follow.
6) ‘Meeting’ your children as adults. And realizing how much you like them 🙂
a) Grandchildren. Squee!
b) Payback! Whee!
c) Commiseration! Free!
d) More grandchildren! Squee!
6) Empty nest. And the opportunity to fall in love with your sweetie all over again.
7) Retirement. And hopefully time for all the things you never had time to do together.
What things have you discovered were worth the wait? Do you have a lists? Anything you’re still waiting for?