I’m not a big fan of the Oscars. Over all I think it’s a bit pretentious (okay, a LOT pretentious) and generally I’ve not seen half the films that are nominated and can never figure out WHY the ones that win, win. However, this year, with the return of Billy Crytal as the host (love that guy) I had to tune in and watch. And boy am I glad I did.
There were some weird moments, people – and some funny ones. Here’s my take in bullet points:
* Billy – fun and funny – he did not disappoint. Especially the kiss between him and George Clooney. Anyone see that?
* Jennifer Lopez and her – ahem – golden globes. Seriously – did you see THAT? Was she having an Elaine from Seinfield Christmas card moment with her niparoonie peaking (or possibly peeking – pun intended) moment both on the red carpet and when she presented?
* I love Robert Downy Jr, but can the man NOT simply present an award without making it into a production (albeit funny production)
* Angelega – I mean Angelina – Jolie. Come on. Yes, we know you’re the most beautiful woman in the world but did you REALLY have to pose on stage hip jutted, leg extended just so to make certain we all saw the creamy white thigh peeking (not peaking) through your yards of designer gown? Seriously. It was beyond ridiculous. Good momma, humanitarian, married to Brad – was that not enough? You had to point out more perfection? Although frankly, I though she looked a bit emaciated. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who thought it was a bit ridiculous because someone set up a twitter page JUST about her LEG – of course it’s ALL over every headline now. Just so you know, pages were also set up for Bradley (yum,yum) Cooper’s Mustache and Martin Scorsese’s Eyebrows LOL
* Ellen DeGeneres – I LOVE Ellen. She got almost as much air time as Billy in her hysterical J.C. Penny ads. Those ads alone were worth the price of admission. So much fun!
* Another fun moment was Sandra Bullock speaking Chinese with a distinct German Accent. Too funny
* Honorable mention for grins goes to Will Farrell and Zach Galifianakis (I should get points for spelling that right). Their twin cymbals bungling act was hysterical.
* Points also go to Chris Rock who made fun of actors who say that voice-overs in animated films is so hard, pointing out that manual labor is hard – not reading lines.
* The Cirque du Soleil was performance was phenomenal!
There were more moments but, let’s move on to what we’re all really interested in: The dresses. Here are some of my favorites – and not so favorites
The Anga-legga Pose. Seriously?
Meryl missed for me on this one
Cameron Diaz looked pretty good
Emma Stone is so cute but this just didn’t
do it for me
I love Melissa McCarthy but I’m not sure this
was the dress for her
Michelle Williams looks incredible!
Penelope Cruz – what’s to say? Perfection
Ah, JaLo. I love her but …
is she nipping out?? You decide.
So – anyone else have any memorable moments you’d like to share? Favorite dresses? And what about JaLo? Did she or didn’t she?? Any favorite movies among the nominees? Favorite actors/actresses? I saw The Help and Money Ball and thought both were amazing. Have to admit I am intrigued by The Artist.