Today please welcome three great ladies who are on the digital content team at Harlequin. I’ve come to think of them as the ‘digital chicks’ (though one of them may insist on ‘digital goddess’). They are behind a lot of what you see online when you surf the Harlequin/Silhouette website—and so much more! So I thought it would be great if we could get a peek behind what their jobs involve. And they’ve brought along some exclusive sneak peaks and a chance to win a copy of my latest Nocturne Bites “After The Kiss”!
A Week in the Life of Harlequin Digital
Hello from the Harlequin digital content team! We’re Malle Vallik, Director of Digital Content and Social Media; Jayne Hoogenberk, eHarlequin Community Manager; and Amy Wilkins, Digital Production Coordinator. Our fourth member Jenny Bullough is on maternity leave but we’re all eagerly awaiting her return in October!
Many people are curious about what we do, so when Michele asked us to guest-blog we thought we’d take the opportunity to offer a little glimpse into our world. Here’s a peak at some of things we worked on last week (including a hint or two about some special projects never before revealed!):
This is particularly cool since we were also nominated last year for a 2008 Weblog Award for Best Online Community. But of course, Jayne has an AWESOME team of moderators!!
– M Malle and Jayne updated Harlequin community strategy for 2010
– E External vendor presented their digital galley process to us. Greatly improved over last 2 years and something we will now discuss internally
– J Jayne updated our Community and Social Media pages with information on the new online read, One Indian Summer by Nicola Marsh featuring an Indian heroine, which totally rocks.
– C Chatted with colleagues back from vacation
– Pi Pitched Blogger Backlist Bundle idea to digital team
– M Met about a Peak Freens Lifestyle cookie giveaway and Harlequin. We will tweet about Toronto cookie giveaways
– T Talked with designer about what the Harlequin Blog should look like (Mon). He promised designs for later in week
– R Researched titles for the November 2009 batch of backlist eBooks. Amy is excited about bringing out eBooks like some classic Jayne Ann Krentz, a complete Silhouette Desire Dynasties continuity, and making all LUNA books available in digital.
– J Jayne approved the final version of a book trailer for a Harlequin non-fiction title Eat Your Way to Happiness by Elizabeth Somer code name: ‘Dancing Veggie Video’. Every time she plays the video spontaneous dancing ensues….
– A Amy sent eBooks & metadata to her star proofreader, John, to tackle. His hard work keeps Amy sane : )
– J Jayne finalized details of live editor chat with senior editor Linda Fildew in the UK for September 4th. She is now wrapping her brain around time zones….be afraid!
– Tr Tracked down missing files for eBook conversion & for legal to submit for copyright registration.
– J Jayne customizes the Harlequin Flickr account and uploads pics of Cedar Cove Days, a Debbie Macomber inspired event…and really, REALLY wishes she could visit Debbie’s most awesome yarn shop. She also updates the Harlequin Books FaceBook page with the pics because…well, that’s just how she rolls.
– C Checked digital rights for March 2010 eBooks (and you thought Fall came quickly — we’re already planning next Spring!)
– Ja Jayne confirmed login information for the new HarlequinTeen MySpace page and worked with the designers to upload the templates and design. Handed off to the curator for her to populate with content and book Harlequin Teen Sweepstakes information. She would very much like you to know that you can win $10,000 and have a chance to win extra prizes by posting the Intertwined widget on YOUR site…hint, hint!
– S Scheduled titles to be released in downloadable audio from Audible.com
– J Jayne built a Facebook and Twitter page for MIRAbooks author Heather Gudenkauf whose most excellent first book The Weight of Silence is currently no. 4 on the New York Times bestseller list. Jayne would like to suggest you ‘Friend’ Heather on Facebook and make her feel welcome. If you want to check out the book trailer for WOS (which Jayne also worked on) you can view it here.
– A Amy proofread October schedules (yes, amidst the fun bits there is still plenty of work-work)
– Ja Jayne scheduled the authors of the Harlequin Superromance blog through September and October (insert another flurry of email), a different author every day, with books and fun prizes and great conversation so you totally have to check out their blog or, Jayne will hunt you down…did we mention a different author EVERY day?? Oh, and Jayne says that we have over 200 authors at eHarlequin.com now in our social blogging network, probably more authors online than any other publisher, in one spot ….so you don’t have to go to 200 different websites to find out what your favorite author is doing…er, or NOT doing!
– J Jayne provided information for the September Anniversary Spotlight hub on all the great discussions/blogs and chat the Community is hosting. September shines the spotlight on Harlequin Superromance and Community is featuring a fabu conversation with 4 ‘Super’ authors who will be taking you behind the scenes of the new Diamond Legacy miniseries and the reading of a family will but…wait, what is this?? It’s the lawyer….”Before I get to the actual will, I have a short letter Sarah asked me to read to you. Come into the lawyer’s office, hear what’s revealed. And what isn’t. Experience it all through Sue, Belle, Joe and Daniel’s eyes as the author’s write in character.
– Ja Jayne worked up concepts and secured music and images for THREE Christmas videos for Harlequin holiday editorial…more dancing ensues.
– J Jayne sends out book prizes to the winners of the July Community Harlequin Presents themed BINGO game…under the B (Billionaire!) under the T (Tycoon) and we have 10 winners!!!
– J Jayne (and Amy) blogs at Michele Hauf’s blog and reveals her TBR pile and sends a Harlequin Anniversary bag to one lucky commenter. She just MIGHT be prompted to give another one away to someone who comments on THIS blog entry!
– J Jayne identified the books to be included in the next shipment to the National Center for Family Literacy as part of our commitment to literacy through the eHarlequin.com Community 100,000 Book Challenge. What? You don’t know what this is?? Clicky-Clicky people!!!
– J Jayne attended a Social Media Webinar, with Chris Brogan and discussed how people use online social tools to build networks of influence and how to use those networks to positively impact your business. …she MIGHT have been eating a tuna sandwich at the time, but who’s to know?
And that’s just SOME of what we all worked on last week!
So…what do you think of our work week? Anything in particular that intrigues you or you want to know more about? We’ve got two prizes for someone who comments: a coupon code to download a free copy of Michele Hauf’s new Silhouette Nocturne Bite After the Kiss and a Harlequin Vintage tote bag!